The Brown's Busyness

The Brown's Busyness

Friday, October 11, 2013

Unique...

How are your kids unique?

I truly believe all kids are unique.  Some display their uniqueness early on in life, while others slowly develop in their Godly design.  As Boo and La build on their uniqueness and character, I marvel at the fact that we are all made in His image and the design it takes to make us all individuals.  It gives a true perspective on being made in His image and being fearfully and wonderfully made.  The NIV version of Psalm 139:14 say "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."  So as I blog, I praise my Father for the design only He could create.

I praise God for the unique individuals He has entrusted to me.  I praise Him for the opportunity to guide these kids into being walking, talking disciples of Christ Jesus.  I praise Him for His grace and mercy and praise Him again knowing every time I fail in the duty He has called me to that I can ask for forgiveness and try again.

With that said, I am curious how uniqueness plays a roll in all families.  How parents look at their own children's uniqueness?

For me, the list is long, but here are a few.

Early on, actually the day she was born, La displayed a strong willed nature.  Stubborn and willing to fight.  This is a good character trait when funneled in the right directions.  From toddlerhood, she displayed a unique ability for justice.  She has been brave and her lack of fear is startling at times.  All assets she was born with!!

Early on, Boo displayed his laid back approach to life.  He went with the flow and still does today.  He is getting more boy in him, but still has that tender heart and desire to keep peace.

From the time they could laugh, we have had two giggle boxes.  9 years later the laughter and giggles these two still can create together is contagious.

As Boo La continue to grow in mind and body, I am seeing more and more unique traits.  I jokingly call them my little nerds (which is in no way a derogatory term).   Why nerd?  They LOVE to learn.  They get excited when homeschool boxes arrive full of curriculum.  They ask to open the package and spend hours going through it.  They get excited to go to Barnes and Noble.  The often opt for an educational show over cartoons...not always, but a lot of the times.  They have a unquenched thirst for knowledge and I try hard not to damper that, but it is hard, especially when we, nope I, am focused on getting "it" done.  It helps that they wear glasses too.  The cutest 9 year olds I know in glasses!  Is this unique? Yes.  Are they the only kids with this trait?  NO!

Another unique character or quality is their imaginations....these kids will still take a box, cut it up, make boats, stuff animal clothes, houses for clay figures they created a few weeks ago, cars, the list goes on.  They are 9 and I pray that I do not become a deterrent to this as my frustration peaks with the mess.

Imagination is a part of our lives...they pretend to ride motorcycles when we take the dog for a walk, they pretend to be artists, singers, pet caretakers.  Their imaginations soars with what if and whens.

Uniquely entrepreneurial minded, already...actually since probably age 3-4 when they tried to sell seashells on the beach  for free.  They are constantly asking me to make something in the kitchen so they can sell it or talking about opening a bakery or restaurant.  Always wondering if what they have created is worth selling.  Where does this come from?  I wish I was an entrepreneur!

Unique in their choice of free time entertainments.  Don't get me wrong on this one....they like tv, they like to play on the Ipad and their nooks, but when the answer is no or not now (which is often) they pick other activities like writing or drawing.  The love to draw.  La is truly refining this skill.  I can barely draw a stick figure so I am impressed with what she is accomplishing in spite of my lack of ability. Boo likes to draw too, but his true talent comes with a play on words.  He has his daddy in him on that.  A recent Saturday morning they opted to sit and write more of their stories and they are impressive.

Here are some excerpts from their latest creations:

Chapter 1
"Burn was anxious.  Icefire had not gotten home the time he said he would.  It was 1:00 am and he was supposed to be here at 11:00pm.  Just then the gate burst open with the power of 1,000 horses.  A flutter of hope ran through the queen.  The royal guards, Jaguar and Ocean, said together, "Icefire has arrived."
"Good," said Burn.
"But," said the guards, "Cyprus hit him with his poison tail!"
"Uh-oh, I'll go get the medicine," said Burn.
One of the guards touched Icefire's cut on his neck.  He roared and his mouth lingered opened for a moment, which scared the dragonet.  Swamp all of a sudden pounced out of a nearby bush and caught the dragonet.  The dragonet whimpered.


La writes too.  Here is an excerpt from her story:

"It was a long time ago.  I was just a baby.  I was playing happily when all of a sudden I heard wing beats that were unusual.  Normally it was quiet.  Suddenly, a big black dragon ripped through the wall and took me.  My mom and dad tried to save me, but the dragon was to strong.  I've been alone ever since trying to find food and water."

He was sad.  Frost said, "So your really have not parents?"

I have two budding writers.  One that is a little bit better play on his words, but both truly imaginative and they love to creatively write.

Uniqueness is them still being each other's best friends.  I try to foster this relationship.  Uniqueness is the close family unit we are creating.  Uniqueness is the openness that is allowed in this family unit.  Openness to the point Boo feels comfortable enough to ask in public, in not a small voice, what a certain unmentionable part of his body was again.  Oh I had to contain myself from laughter as I leaned down and explained to him what it was, but was proud of myself that I didn't flinch or retreat.  Uniqueness is not freaking out when the make a mistake or when I make a mistake. Uniqueness if forgiveness that abounds.

As we continue to work on Godly character traits, in them and me, I will continue to praise God for the gifts He has given me in these two unique individuals.  I will continue to pray that I facilitate the work He has called me to do in and with them.  I try to remind myself that their gifts are unique and remember the joy and entertainment the uniqueness brings to my life and our family.  I will try to praise them for the Godly gifts that are displayed regularly, but have become commonplace.  I overlook a lot of what should be acknowledged and this isn't ok, which means time to refocus!  I will slow down and enjoy what I have been entrusted with.  I will continue to keep the lines of communication open and honest.  I will be unique right along with them.  Our family will be unique.

UNIQUE IS THE NEW NORMAL!!

Lord, I thank you and praise you for the unique life you have created for me.  I am truly blessed beyond measure.




No comments:

Post a Comment