We are finally caught up on our sleep and before I update about our Hawaii trip, I have to note this crazy 48+ hours of returning to Florida.
Our (BooLa and Mommy)plan was to fly back from Kona, divert into Dallas to visit our beloved Redmans, then back home Saturday. Definitely didn't happen that way.
October 21...
We got up normal Kona time, which was about 7 a.m. (translate 1 a.m. est)
Plane departs Kona 9:30 pm (Oct 22nd 3:30am est)
Arrive Los Angeles 5:30am (3:30am est)
Depart Los Angeles 6:45 am (9:45 am est)
Here's where are plans are thrown off and life gets interesting.
Divert to El Paso 10:30 am (12:30 pm est)
Captain comes over the intercom to say we are diverting to El Paso, TX for a smoke smell in the cockpit. We landed at a faster speed than I have ever experienced. When we hit the approach fast, I grabbed BooLa's seat belts and made sure they were tight, and my hand braced the front of them. I was sure it was going to be a hard landing because the speed never decreased. To my surprise, it was a super smooth landing.
Captain comes back on intercom. We are waiting for them to get the jet bridge to the airplane. I'm not sure if we will deplane or not. Captain back on intercom....they are having trouble getting the auxillary power hooked up. We will leave the engines running for now, but maintenance can't get on the airplane until we shut the engines off. Captain again...still having trouble...shuts engine down so no power going to airplane...it starts getting warm.
People in what look like space suites with a detection machine get on the airplane.
Captain comes on again...we will be deplaning, but they are still having trouble with the jet bridge. A few minutes later...Jet bridge is hard broke. This airplane also will not be going anywhere else today.
They are getting the stairs and everyone will be off.
GREAT!!! We fly standby so we are bottom end charlie to get out of El Paso. El Paso is not an American hub, and oh this should be fun.
The line to talk to the gate agents are sooooooo long. We go get something to eat, play, read and then talk to them.
He tells me we should get on the 4:45pm flight. Not too bad UNTIL the 1:45 plane breaks...part wont be in until 8 pm. SERIOUSLY two hard broke planes ...
At this point, La is on the ground, shivering and saying she doesn't feel good. We have been up for more than 36 hours, with a few hours of sleep on the airplane. I text the Redmans and say at this point I think we are just heading straight to Florida. Our sanity was being tested and there was not way we would function after losing this much sleep. Also, if La was getting sick, sick, I didn't want to subject them to that.
Oct 22 8pm (10pm est) leave El Paso
Arrive Dallas 10:30 pm (11:30 om est)
Our flight to Miami didn't leave until the next morning. We got into the hotel for a whopping 4 hours of sleep for the kids and maybe 3 for me.
Leave Dallas at 7:45 am (we didn't get on 5:45 a.m flight ... on flight at 8:45 am est) We all passed out for the 2 hour and 45 minute flight. Boo was sitting up with head tilted back and mouth wide open. Beyond exhausted...
Land in Miami at little before noon. Now we have a two hour drive home. Luckily Gary stayed the night in Miami and drove us home. Arrived home about 3. Kept kids awake and put them to bed around 8 (not intentionally that late, but I passed out and didn't get up until 6pm).
It has taken 5 days to try to catch up on our sleep. Kiddos slept until 11 am the next day .. went to bed by 7:30 pm that night and slept until 10:45pm the next morning. Back to bed at 7 and up at 8, which seems to be the new norm.
That was BRUTAL.....through it all my kids were fine..no complaints...not whining ... we read, we played, we talked, we played on their nooks, we ate, we walked, we did what we had too. I've said this before and I hope to continue to be able to say it .... I HAVE ROCK STAR TRAVELERS!! Do I pay with attitudes in the days that follow...oh yes, but in public and during the long journeys....they rock it..
Next up...Hawaii and the Hawaiin surprise....
No comments:
Post a Comment